Drusen are a weakness in the retina that created tiny widow like defects. If they are in the center of vision, the macula, then can lead to macular degeneration and subsequent blindness.
How do we treat it? When we diagnose drusen we recommend three key preventive treatments as there are NO medicines that help.
- Antioxidants: Our first choice is “Eyecare” antixoidant capsules which is all natural and there are many available over the counter or by internet. Read the label! Don’t purchase anything with artificial ingredients as you may be exchanging one problem for another.
- Omega 3 Oils: it is our experience that 2 grams of omega 3 oils, a good brand like Nordic Naturals or Non-Repeating fish oil caps from Essential To Health, makes a difference.
- Aerobics: Without question, adding aerobics to maintain circulation is essential. This can be something as simple as just walking an hour 5 or more days a week
- No Smoking: If you are a smoker be forewarned that smoking is the most powerful cause of macular degeneration, I have ever seen. If you smoke your odds of losing your vision are vastly increased!
- Weight Loss: Patients who are over weight as little as 10 lbs have a much higher risk of macular degeneration later in life.
- Diet: adding lots of raw colorful vegetables to your diet is one of the best ways of getting antioxidants too!
- Probiotics: are healthy bacteria needed for digestion and absorption of food. The best source of probiotics are naturally fermented foods like, Bubbie’s Pickles, Bubbie’s Sauerkraut and live Kombucha beverages. You will also find this in yogurt that is live and via capsules in the health food store.
- Some things to avoid like the plague!
- Chemicals in foods
- Artificial dyes and flavors
- Artificial sweeteners
- Sugar in all form
- Soda (low calorie or otherwise)
- Hydrogenated fats
- Factory Farm raised Anything! (as of 2015)